Sunday 21 March 2010


First Post...

Okay then. I really wanted to just dive in here but having looked at various Blog 101-what-the-bloody-hell-you-should-be-writing-in-your-first-post I have come to the frustrating conclusion that I should at least attempt to follow some of the advice of such prescribed nuggets of wisdom before getting distracted with what I actually want to write about (or just plain record in my case).

So okay, lets try to fill in the blanks as I go along here. Rule 1 seems to be “tell people about yourself”. Okay... well I can discard that one easy enough with an absolutely clear conscious. I’m not easy to get to know... in fact I’m probably hard work to get to know and this is probably by design. If someone actually wants to take some time to get to know me then they must be worth knowing in themselves is my theory on that one... and it seems besides the point anyway. My true belief... and I know most people will disagree with me on this... is that the true knowledge of a person doesn’t come from conversation or drinks at a bar or long drawn out dinner parties or even, you know, really good sex. I think the true soul of a person is revealed in their words. Anyone can blurt out anything in the moment and probably get away with it but that’s NOT who they are. Once, however, they’ve checked what they want to say, corrected the grammar and, you know, really contemplated what it is they want to commit to the page... that’s when you really know the person. At least that’s the way I see it anyway and it’s not something I’m ever going to change my mind on, methinks.

So all you really need to know about me is that I’m male, early forties and love film - but I really hate that thing when people say “It’s on my lovefilm list” and then use that as a justification not to go out to the cinema. In much the same way that people use mobile phones as an excuse to be a bit late for a scheduled rendezvous. Don’t be using technology as an excuse to be lazy around me people!

Right... why do you want to write a blog seems to be the next thing I should know about. Well okay then. I want to write a blog because in my early experiments with the monstrosity that is twitter... I actually found a use for it in that I could use it, diary fashion, to record somewhere what movies or TV shows I had seen on any given day. So partially it’s just something for me to remind me what I’ve been watching/reading/listening to and to clarify my thoughts on it.

So far so good but... the next big question for me... and a very important one actually... would be why would I want to inflict that on any potential readers? Well... over the last couple of decades I’ve noticed the effect on some friends and acquaintances whereby they’ve been generally interested and inspired to explore things themselves based on the range of different kinds of things I like to look at/listen to and read myself. It sometimes has a positive effect on people so that, therefore, can’t be a bad thing. Exposing myself ;-) to people can sometimes turn them on to things they've been missing out on. I don’t know, for example, what I’m going to be wanting to watch from one week to the next... Kurosawa (my favourite director), Tarkovsky (my second favourite director), Noir, Giallo, Nikkatsu exploitation movies, Toho monster movies, Universal horror, Mexican wrestlers, French lesbian vampires, zombies, Bergman, Hartley, Jay and Silent Bob, blind Japanese swordsmen, plagiaristic Turkish superheroes, kitchen sink, 50s B movies, Kieslowski, Suzuki, blind Spanish zombie Knights Templars, Spanish werewolves, Peplum, Almodovor, Eisenstein, anything with Caroline Munro in it... the list goes on. Some people are genuinely interested in what I’m watching to see if they will get anything out of it so... why not give it a shot I thought? I don’t expect to get much of a following (or possibly any following to be honest) but I might as well give it a go. You never know... I might meet some likeminded souls out here in cyberspace... find the gal-of-my-dreams and live happily ever after if I’m really lucky.

Hmmm.... that smacks of having some kind of agenda so I’ll hastily drop out of that last paragraph while the dropping’s good and go on to the next point... which I’ve got no idea of what that’s supposed to be. Hang on a sec.

Oh, okay. Here’s a good one. Why is my blog called what my blog is called.

Aha... NUTS4R2 was a term I made up decades ago as a glib, catch all term to describe a general cultural range. I figured an echo of Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau's famous screen vampire mixed up with a reference to one of George Lucas’ famous lowest common denominator androids (by way of Kurosawa’s The Hidden Fortress) would be a good starting point for a catchy, attention grabbing name.

Makes me smile anyway... well, makes the corner of my mouth twitch up a little anyway. Don’t really do “smiling” these days. :-(

Anyway, that’s it. If you’ve read this far then I hope it wasn’t too boring for you. And I hope... if you decide to continue reading this thing as it progresses, that you find at least a few things of interest to explore yourself. And if you find something you really like which you were made aware of from here... please let me know about it. My ego could use a good kick in the brain!

Sincerely,

NUTS4R2

No comments:

Post a Comment